Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Art Bailey Trio, Quiet As A Bone

Some piano trios blow you out of the water with the sheer force of the improvisations. Others do other things. The Art Bailey Trio, as heard on Quiet As A Bone (HRL Records RAT-002), do those other things.

Art Bailey wows you with his very quirky compositions. They are harmonically advanced, melodically unexpected, chromatic/a-chromatic and delightfully asymmetrical.

Other than two group improvs, the disk features Art's pen as much as his piano and the trio's appealingly loose-tight improvisational stance. In Michael Bates, bass, and Owen Howard, drums, he finds a perfect compatibility, a locking-in of sound and sense.

So what does it sound like? There is a hint of the early-mid Paul Bley trios and Herbie Nichols, but only that. This is original sound, very hip, straightforward outness.

And the mesh between composition and improvisation is tight. Art has a strong idea of where he's going and the trio goes with him as a unity.

This is something to hear. If you dig modern-new-thing-avant piano trios, do not miss this.

For more information and to order a copy, past the following link into your browser: http://www.artbailey.org/listen/

5 comments:

  1. I really like the content of your post. . .thanks a lot for showing it to me....keep it up . .really much appreciated..
    vapor recovery tower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drop a leave a response whenever I appreciate a article on
    a blog or if I have something to contribute to the conversation.

    It is caused by the fire communicated in the article I looked at.
    And after this article "Art Bailey Trio, Quiet As A Bone". I was actually
    excited enough to post a thought :-P I do
    have a couple of questions for you if it's okay. Could it be just me or does it look like a few of the comments come across like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at other social sites, I'd like to keep up with you.

    Would you list every one of all your social pages like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?
    Also see my website - Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    Glad you liked the article--you have any questions ask. I notice the link you post is to sell a ringtone. No matter. I am around the net but these four blogspot sites are where the action is right now.
    Grego

    ReplyDelete
  4. And whatever the questions are I am happy to get the response BTW.

    ReplyDelete